Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Stuff in Your Heart

I Want It All!
It's natural to want. Most humans have a desire to want better quality or better woking things. That's what's driven invention and innovation since the beginning. Some of our wanting comes from the simple fact that we're human.

Some of our wanting, however, comes from exposing our eyes to beautiful things. Ever do this? I go the mall for a gift for someone else. I enter the store smiling, excited to bless my friend. I look at this skirt, that chunky necklace, those heels. Pretty soon, I'm disappointed and discontent. Things i never knew existed 10 minutes ago are now influencing my attitude because my eyes saw them.

Ever study a catalog, a Web site or a magazine only to come away with a long wish list? Ever watch a tv and go to bed with your mind lingering on that product? Much of our wanting comes from our insecurity in who we are and where we fit. We search for items to impress others, to make them think we're special of have money. We buy items that'll convey a message about who we want to be, whether funky, artsy, classy or dramatic. Some of these items we genuinely like. But very often, we want stuff to make us into "someone". The truth is, pretty or cool stuff doesn't make us into anyone that we aren't without pretty or cool stuff.

Every day, we're surrounded by powerful cultural and media messages about stuff : "YOU DESERVE IT!" "THIS BRAND SAYS YOU'RE A PERSON OF GREAT TASTE AND STYLE!" "BUY IT NOW, PAY FOR IT LATER!" "WANT BEAUTY? FIND IT IN THIS PRODUCT." Marketers know how to press our insecurity buttons and make us let go of our dollars. That's their job. Our job is to find out how God wants us to think about stuff and what He wants us to do with our money.


What Does God Say About Stuff?
So how does God want us to think about stuff and money? Throughout Scripture(especially Proverbs), there are basically five messages about money.

Give It.
Save It.
Work For It.
Enjoy It.
Watch out for it!

Have you ever gotten something that you really wanted, and then 3 days later you've forgotten about it, lost it, broke it or something new came to the store? And then you start begging for the next new thing? That's what God calls "the deceitfulness of riches" Stuff looks awesome - until we get it. As much as stuff promises to, it doesn't really make life better. In fact, it has made sour many young women's attitudes.

We don't realize it, but when we frequently get lots of stuff, it begins to control our minds and moods. Having too much stuff takes away our peace, creativity, time for relationships and happiness. So rather than saying, "I want that. I wish i could have it," teach youself to respond with one of these :

I don't need that.
I have enough.
I'm not entitled to have everything I want.
I'm not what i wear.
Maybe when I've saved enough.
Stuff does NOT make people who they are.

We can learn to refocus our thought life on Jesus. We can learn to ask Him to provide what we need. Instead of craving everything we see, we can learn to notice pretty things but still be happy with what we have. And think about it : There will always be people with more than you, but take a look around the world, you'll find billions of people who have less.

Wanting Jesus.
this is Kristen White's story. i wanted a pair of jeans a few years back and I got it. but soon enough, something else was popular : Brown jeans. I was newly married, and we didn't have enough money for clothes. So i took my request to God and then waited.

One day I went to a consignment store with my family. On a whim, I looked at the pants rack. There hung a pair of bown jeans. My size : $6. I could afford that. They fit perfectly, so I took them to the checkout.

"$1.75," the cashier said.
"I think they were supposed to be $6," I said.
"They're on sale today," she said.

I almost cried. The jeans weren't in my heart - just on my want list. I'd given God my list, not as though he was a genie who had to do what I said, but in humility and prayer. And He got to provide an amazing way instead of my going out to provide for myself.

Nothing can satisfy the needs and wants in our lives permanently except a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Stuff isn't worth pursuing : Jesus is. Learn to replace your love for stuff with love for God. Jesus is all I want to want. How about you?

When stuff is Given to God :
You don't have to have it - ever.
You pray sincerely.
You're lovely.
You can wait, save and spend with a plan.
You think about other people.
You're content and thankful.

When Stuff is In Your Heart.
You have to have it - now!
You insist, whine and pout.
You're unpleasant to be around.
You spend impulsively.
Your mind dwells on frivolous luxuries.
You're consumed with ingratitude.

God Bless! :)

No comments:

Verse Of The Day